SNEZHA TSONEVA MATTHEWSON was born in 1959 in the city of Plovdiv. She finished the English Language School in Plovdiv and graduated from English Studies at St. Kliment Okhridski University of Plovdiv in 1984. In 1988 she stated work as assistant professor in The Paissii Hilendarski University of Plovdiv. In 1993 she earned a Fulbright Scholarship and graduated from the MA programme of Applied Linguistics and Teaching English as Foreign Language from South Illinois University of Carbondale in 1996. In 2006 she defended her doctoral dissertation at St. Andrews University, Scotland. From 2007 she resumed her teaching and research activity at The Paissii Hilendarski University of Plovdiv. Presently she is chief assistant professor and is involved in cognitive linguistics studies and historical grammar of English.
List of Publications of Snezha Matthewson
- Elision of final -e in repetitive pairs of the type far and wide, whole and sound, etc. in Late Old English and Early Middle English Texts. Scientific works, vol. 29, 1, 1991. Philology, Plovdiv University Paissii Hilendarski.
- Language and Gender. Curriculum Agenda on Women, Women's Awareness Project: Issues and Accomplishments. Carbondale, IL: Southern Illinois University at Carbondale, Women's Studies Program #6518, 1996.
- Elizaveta Karamihailova : Bulgarian pioneer of radioactivity. In Rayner-Canham, M. F and Rayner-Canham, G. A devotion to science: pioneer women in radioactivity. Philadelphia : Chemical Heritage Foundation ; Montreal : McGill-Queen's University Press, 1997.
- CAN: The Symbiosis of Choice and Control. In He, A.W. Reconstructing Institutions. Language Use in Academic Counseling Encounters. Greenwich, CT and London, UK: Ablex, 1998.
- The Symbiosis of Choice and Control: Toward a discourse-based account of CAN. Journal of Pragmatics, 1998, pp 615-637, (co-authored with A. He).
- Will and be going to in the context of academic counselling, Philology, Plovdiv University Press, 1998.
- How the Camel Got Its Hump: Bringing Literature Back into the ESL Clasroom. TESOL Arabia '98. Conference Proceedings, vol. 3, 1999.
- Bydeshteto v starobylgarskiya ezik i teoriyata za prototipite (The future in Old Bulgarian and ptototype theory). Sypostavitelno ezikoznanie (Contrastive Linguistics) XXIV, 4, 1999, St. Kliment Ohridski University Press, Sofia, pp.82-96.
- Cognitive Linguistics. Encyclopedia of Life Support Systems, 2004, EOLLS Publishers, Oxford.
- Colour Predication in Russian and Bulgarian' in Vladimir Trendafilov and Irena Vassileva (eds.), BOUNDARIES, BOUNDARY CROSSING, CROSS-BOUNDARY TRANSFER: Proceedings of the 2007 BSBS and BASA Annual Conference (SOUTH-WESTERN UNIVERSITY NEOFIT RILSKI' BLAGOEVGRAD, PHILOLOGICAL FACULTY, 2009, pp. 364-380.
- Polysemy of the Bulgarian Preposition НА, Международна Юбилейна Научна конференция „250 години История Славянобългарска", 2012, pp. 152-16.
- CAN COGNITIVE LINGUISTICS HELP IN TEACHING PREPOSITIONS in Чуждоезиковото обучение в контекста на интеркултурната комуникация, 2014, Издателство ИВИС, Велико Търново, 198-207.
- THE SEMANTICS OF THE PREPOSITION WITH ACROSS FRAMEWORKS в Сборник в чест на 80-годишнината на професор Бистра Алексиева.
Books Translated from English into Bulgarian
- Честър Хаймз. От Любов към Имабел. Издателство "Христо Г. Данов", 1986.
Books Translated from Bulgarian into English
- A Culture at Cossroads, Lettera Publishers, 2009.
- The Cultural Diversity of Bulgaria. Lettera, 2012.